Sunday, July 13, 2008

First launch of a scratch built...

This was my first kit bash, officially called The Patient. This was made from the body tube and cone of an Estes Mean Machine. I made through-the-wall fins, papered them and then Cy'd and sanded the edges. I also used epoxy clay to make the fin fillets. It has a built in e-bay for the altimeter. All these were processes I wanted to test here before applying them to my Apogee Aspire, hence the name of this rocket. Overall I learned a lot and I'm very happy with it. It flew almost perfectly straight and went fairly high. Suffered no damage and recovered well. I also learned quite a bit that I can apply to the Aspire build.

Here is a picture of my "rocket retriever" Carson:


Altitude and speed on the Aerotech E15-7W, Estes E9-6 and D12-5 motors:



A few pre-launch pics:







YouTube video pending download of a video editor.

No comments: